Thursday, May 13, 2010

Com. Gurmel Hoonjan was among the gems

There is always something you can not forget. You have to carry the burden throughout your life. When I joined the communist movement in the early seventies it was a bliss to work for the social revolution in the leadership of S A Dange and his comrades. There were many who joined the movement for political clarity and it was the luckiest moment in my life to have some very beautiful persons co travelers .But the unluckiest thing was to loose those very comrades in the battle against terrorism in Punjab during the eighties and early nineties in the period of about a decade. Among them were Arjun Singh Mastana, Darshan Singh Canadian , Sumit Preetladi, Deepak Dhavan ,Gurmel Hoonjan, Dr.Ravinder Ravi and Harpal Khokhar.The last three were the intimate one. It was a big loss, an irreparable one. Twenty years have gone since then. There is not a single day in my life after that without remembering them. They were inseparable part of my life and with there leaving I felt myself as a handicap struggling to integrate my sorry state. Somehow I managed to survive the blow and it is my mode of life since then to pay tribute everyday to my dear comrades who gave their life without giving an inch to the prevailing threat.Com. Gurmel Hoonjan was assassinated exactly twenty one years ago. All those who know him can never forget him raising the slogan “Na Hindu Raj Na Khalistan, Jug Jug Jive Hindustan”, defending the Dange line of unity and struggle unflinchingly. I too vividly remember the day when we visited his village ,Pandher Khedi after his assassination along with com. Mohit Sen . It has been narrated in Mohit's autobiography.Really he was among the gems produced by our liberation movement.The memory of such comrades needs to be carried on for the future generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment